Tuesday, March 10, 2009

kill da wabbit

There is a very famous 1957 Bugs Bunny/Elmer Fudd episode called What's Opera, Doc, set to Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries in which Elmer sings, "kill da wabbit, kill da wabbit". If you haven't seen it, you haven't lived, because it's brilliant. At our house it's a theme song right now.

Let me set one thing straight, Your Honor: I have never killed a wabbit, nor have I ever caused a wabbit to be killed. There was this one very unfortunate incident involving a rattlesnake that entered our yard and slithered itself up to our back door, and all I can say is that shovels are really weighty and it never felt a thing.

So, recently my neighborhood has been overrun with wabbits and I'm starting to understand why the French snack on them. Speaking of French, the lowdogs were BRED by the French to HUNT RABBITS. I'm not pulling your leg, go look it up.

OK, so here's what I saw the other day out my kitchen window.


This beautiful little furry creature of God and his/her relatives and/or friends dine on every plant in my yard and deposit little ball-shaped turds e.v.e.r.y.w.h.e.r.e. Oh, and they pee, too, which leaves little bunny-butt sized burn marks everywhere.

So, I think to myself, "Hey self, wouldn't it be great to have a natural remedy to this problem?" At which point I embark on a hunt (pun intended) for the 'natural remedy' that I just fed some very expensive kibble and leftover steak to about 15 minutes ago.

This is where I found the Mighty Hunter:

OK, do you see her giving me that evil eye?
Seriously, it's like having a teenager in the house.

Suffice it to say, Wabbit and all his/her little furry friends/relatives will be assured of living a long and glorious life in my yard.

Chalk up one for the Wabbit Union.

5 comments:

Martha said...

Sorry your pictures weren't there. We will come back and have another look later in case it is just a bloggie blip.
We were looking forward to seeing the great basset hunt!!!
We are sure your rabbit problem will soon be a thing of the past with your trusty basset hounds.
If you need any help from us just give us a call...............
Rabbit busters!
love
Martha & Bailey xx

lowdogs said...

I fixed the picture problem. Which is more than I can say for the wabbit problem :o)

Woof.

Martha said...

We can see we are going to need to come and visit you.
We might not catch the rabbits but Bailey will terrorise them!
Martha might just hop into that bed too, being a basset, she has her priorities right! It is always best to take things easy - so what harm is that wee rabbit doing to anyone...........
love
Martha & Bailey xxx

pleintexasgirl said...

I am sitting here at work trying not to laugh out loud and give myself away here. And I LOVE the old Bugs cartoons. I picture your mighty hunter in a viking helmet and long viking braids.

Tee said...

I guess that's what surburbia does to Bassets!

Good look dogs too ... so adorable!

Licks an Wags

Tuffy of Dog Woods